Loughshinny and the sea are synonymous. The present harbour was originally started by Lord Holmpartrick and was completed by the Office of Public Works in 1918. An extension was added in 1945. The larger fishing boats moved to Skerries in the 1950s but at the present time a number of smaller craft are using the harbour, fishing mainly for lobster and crab.

This picture, taken in 1958, shows Christy Plunkett, George Plunkett and Willie McGee at work on the "Ros Mor".

A group of Loughshinny fishermen pictured sometime in the 1950s, only two of whom had not attended the local school. Back row, left to right, are Christy Wilde, Teddy Ferguson, George Wilde, Bobby Beggs (Skerries), Christy Plunkett, Willie McGee (Rush), Eddie Rogan, Paddy Attley, Pat Wilde, Willie Kavanagh. Front row, John "Tar" Ryan, Francis Rogan, Joe Plunkett, J.J. Mansfield (harbourmaster Skerries), Eddie Corr, Pete Wilde, Tom Ferguson, Willie Wilde, George "Oh" Corrr.